Monday, March 19, 2007

Amazing planet

We are living in a truly amazing planet. What do I mean? Other planets out there in space are balls of gas or stones or boiling liquid yet ours is filled with warmth, life and activities. Sometimes I wonder are we the only civilized world in the universe, most probably not because the probability is just too small because they have discovered many other planetary systems in faraway space and there could have billions of such similar life sustaining systems out there.

According to this recent article in the NY Times (I hope to find the link), Earth is doomed to be hit by an asteroid sometime in the not-too-distant future. This might happen on April 13, 2036 (I'd be 70 by then and I wonder if I'll be alive then). What are we going to do about it? Probably by then some hi tech weapons would have been used to blow it up to pieces but that's not a total solution.

I don't wish to think too much except analyzing my bets in the card games. Besides, I'll be 70 when it happens. I plan to have already lived a full life by then. I'll just put on my shades and enjoy the ensuing light show.

No comments: